Our family is sort of fair-weathered State Fair goers. But man, if this mid-seventies stuff keeps up, we’ll be stuffing everything-on-a-stick into our pie holes faster than you can say “Princess Kay of the Milky Way.” The only downside? The fair can be spendy. So I present you five ways to save:
- Thrifty Thursday & Kids Day: On Thrifty Thursday (Aug. 23) Adult (13-64) is $10 (reg. $12) and Kids (5-12) is $7 (reg. $10). On Kids Day (Aug. 27 & Sept. 3), kids get in for $7. Adults, you get to pay full price (sad trombone sound).
- Pre-Fair Discount Admission Tickets: Save up to $3 on admission and up to $5 on rides/game tickets ($10 for a sheet of 20). They’re good every day of the fair. And you can get them at the Customer Service centers at participating Cub Foods stores through Aug. 22 (while supplies last). At the State Fair Box Office until Aug. 22. Buy an additional pre-fair admission ticket for parking and save $3 (reg. $12).
- Blue Ribbon Bargain Book: Includes 126 coupons and over $500 in savings. Pick one up before the fair for $4 ($5 at fair) at Cub Foods locations, at the State Fair Box Office and online.
- Deals, Drawings and Giveaways!: If you have the patience to go through this brochure, you can get yourself some deals.
- Park and Ride: Honestly, if you’re going to the State Fair, I don’t know why you wouldn’t do the Park and Ride. It’s free so you save the $12 parking fee at the fair. You avoid parking/traffic headache. And it’s ridiculously easy with rides from 8 am to midnight and buses leaving about every 20 minutes from these places.
- Old Fashioned Creativity: Pack water bottles, sandwiches, anything you need to avoid the pricy food. Maybe you do a bag lunch, and save your cash for a deep-fried Twinkie dessert. Michael’s sells those little pokey food sticks (as do some grocery stores). Why not bring your own food on a stick? Feeling extra-ambitious? Give these a whirl.
If you have any other fair-saving secrets, feel free to share the love in the comments.
It’s only fair.
2012 MN State Fair (directions)
August 23-Labor Day, Sept. 3, 2012
Thrifty Thursday: Thursday, August 23
Kids Days: Monday, Aug. 27 and Monday, Sept. 3